GPS Coordinates: 35.183870, 45.984778
Halabja is quite a dreary town, understandable given its history, however it is a bustling place with a market area and attractive parks on the outskirts of the city. People are very friendly; many come to pay their respect at the national monument for the victims of the Halabja gassing. Nevertheless, many have yet to discover Halabja’s natural beauty and various types of fruit and vegetation. The local people are pleased and welcoming to foreigners.
At the far end of Halabja is a large park with good views over the town and the surrounding hills.
Martyrs' Monument and Cemetery
The chemical bombardment of Halabja town by the Ba'ath regime on March 16th, 1988 led to more than 5 thousand dead and 10 thousand wounded or disabled as well as the destruction of the town. The monument and the cemetery are a symbol of Kurdish resistance and hope in the face of dictatorship. The site serves as a reminder and details the crimes against the Kurdish people as an eternal remembrance that will never die.
Prior to March 2014 Halabja was a district of the Sulaymaniyah Governorate, Iraq. However after March 2014 the district was given governorate status. The towns of the district were elevated to districts when the new governorate was formed.
Gullan Park is an attractive green picnic area 5 km east of Halabja city. The park is known for its fresh water springs, orchards and high trees. There is also a play area for children.
Byara Shrines is an old village about 98 km northeast of Sleimani. The site accommodates several shrines of spiritual sheikhs, such as the shrine of Sheikh Ala'addin Naqshabandi. Thousands of followers visit the village each year to pay homage to the Sheikh. The people of the area are famous for their handmade crafts such as knitting klash (Kurdish folkloric shoes) and weaving traditional Kurdish clothing.
Halabja Sports center and Stadium
The newly built Halabja sports center offers a wide range of sporting activities and a world class Stadium. Visitors are welcome to come along and enjoy sport with the locals.
Is an area in the Hawraman district, 3 km east of Taweila Village. Aweisar is a popular tourist destination famous for its walnut trees, fruit orchards and fresh water springs. Hawraman is known for its green and natural beauty.
The construction of this mosque dates back to the seventeenth century built by Grand Mohammed Pasha who was the grand father of Othman pasha Jaff. The mosque also serves as a mausoleum to Pasha Jaff and his wife. In the old times, the mosque served as a center for Islamic sciences, moreover the famous Islamic scholar Mula Abdullah Qutb was one of the grand scholars who had graduated from this mosque.
Ahmad Awa is a resort that is known for its springs and waterfalls; the resort attracts half a million visitors per year from all over Kurdistan and Iraq. There are many facilities such as cafeterias and restaurants as well as newly built cabins for tourists who choose to stay the night and enjoy the cool atmosphere of the surrounding environment.
Twila is located about 100 km to the east of Sulaymaniyah. It is known as the heart of Horman. It is surrounded by mountains on all sides, which ensure perfect climactic conditions. It is covered by snow during autumn and winter. It is home to the shrines of Horaman and Sheikh Osman Siraj Eldin Naqshibandi, who lived and died there in Twila between 1868 and 1780.